Elder Joseph B. Wirthlin's talk in October conference came at a very appropriate time in my life. It has been a rewarding challenge to heed his counsel.
Quotes from Joseph B. Wirthlin’s talk in the October 2008 General Conference:
- In spite of discouragement and adversity, those who are happiest seem to have a way of learning from difficult times, becoming stronger, wiser and happier as a result.
- The Lord in His wisdom does not shield anyone from grief or sadness.
- I believe that the way we react to adversity can be a major factor in how happy and successful we can be in life.
- These experiences, while often difficult to bear at the time, are precisely the kinds of experiences that stretch our understanding, build our character, and increase our compassion for others. We experience hard things so that we too may have increased compassion and understanding for others.
- Sometimes the very moments that seem to overcome us with suffering are those that will ultimately suffer us to overcome.
- That which is taken away from those who love the Lord will be added unto them in His own way. While it may not come at the time we desire, the faithful will know that every tear today will eventually be returned a hundredfold with tears of rejoicing and gratitude.
- He who descended below all things will come to our aid. He will comfort and uphold us. He will strengthen us in our weakness and fortify us in our distress. He will make weak things become strong.
- Come what may, and love it. I know why there must be opposition in all things. Adversity, if handled correctly, can be a blessing in our lives. We can learn to love it.
You are the best example of this I know!
ReplyDeleteThank you for sharing this. I really need to go back and read Elder Wirthlin's talk again. Such great lessons! I love you!
ReplyDelete