Sunday, June 21, 2009

Happy Father’s Day, Papa!

My dad is the smartest person I know.  Really.  I used to tell people that he speaks 7 languages.  I think I may have been off by a few.  But, that’s how smart I thought he was.  That’s how smart I think he is. 

Some of my fondest memories with my dad involve learning. 

me and papa 017

The names of flowers, trees, birds, and insects.

Excursions to The City—just me and him.  We visited art museums.  We studied the details of the Russian Bride painting.  I learned about The Thinker, inlay wood, and how to look at the works of Monet.

Speaking only Spanish on the way to early morning seminary.  Phrases and questions like “Que color es la luz?”  David learned much more Spanish than I ever did.  I mastered mascara application during those morning drives…unfortunately I never mastered Spanish quite as well.     

Early morning grammar lessons during the summer.  He made yummy hot chocolate as a consolation prize.  I’m not sure I was sold.  I may not have been very enthusiastic about that summer plan…but I learned.

Reading the scriptures as a family.  It was never a fast read-through-and-on-to-dinner kind of reading.  We learned details and history.  We learned how to say abominable—“a bomb in a bowl.”  I bet he doesn’t remember that.

Sweet discipline.  I always felt loved.  I was almost always calm at the end of my discipline sessions with Papa.  I sat in the rocking chair across from his desk.  Sometimes he just kept working or studying while I sat there and calmed down a little bit.  I needed calming.  Once when I was inconsolable he asked me to write a paper on the issue.  I learned.

He was always teaching me something .

The greatest thing I learned from my dad is the nature of God.  Years ago I heard of a study comparing one’s view of Heavenly Father in relation to their earthly father.  In general people view Heavenly Father as being similar to their dad—just greater.  If Heavenly Father is anything like Papa, I look forward to meeting him. 

me and papa 016

I love you, Papa!

1 comment:

  1. Your dad IS wonderful. Good for you for seeing that. Good for you for being such a great daughter to him.

    ReplyDelete