Tuesday, March 24, 2009

If spelling isn't your forte....

If you founder when it comes to spelling, pronunciation, or correct word usage, you can stop now! We had a good laugh as we read through these top 100 most mispronounced words. I'm amazed at how many of the words I used wrong.

These are a few of my favorites:

forte (pronounced "fort")
spit & image (not spitting image)
champ at the bit (not chomp)
herb (not said 'erb)
jewelry (not said jewlery...which I always do even though I know it's wrong)
pernickety (not persnickety)

And my favorite, "potable," because my entire airline uses it wrong, and it's the only place I hear it on a regular basis. According to us, you are all drinking "pottable" water when you fly the friendly skies. I'll have to educate my industry!

1 comment:

  1. -I have also considered bangs, but didn't because I don't consistantly do my hair. I think they are so cute though.
    -I had wondered why you weren't in London. Looked like fun in DC.
    -This post is for me. I'm really bad at spelling and saying things wrong. Until I was married I said both picture and pitcher as "pitcher"
    I also thought R.S. was Release Society- mothers get a release from your kids.

    ReplyDelete