Monday, July 27, 2009

Dr. Claw

Have you ever been driving down the road and had someone cut you off and wish so bad that you could just let them know how you felt about it?

It's pretty frustrating, huh?

That's how I feel right now about my job. I bid for my August schedule, hoping I would work lot's of hours in not very many days, have all of my days off, with mostly Portland overnights. I knew those were lofty dreams and that I wouldn't get everything I wanted--but I thought at least I would get my days off. Now, I may not be an amazing bidder, but until now I have never been awarded a bid so opposite of what I actually bid for. I didn't get any of the days off I needed. I'm working during a very important adoption conference that I was helping plan. I'm working during Yosemite. I'm working during a family graduation. And the worst one-- I'm working during Clark's sealing.

To make matters worse, we can usually trade and drop trips when we don't get exactly what we want. But, because we have so few reserves to cover trips, I am unable to switch my trips even a tiny bit. I've tried. I've offered to work a 3-day trip in order to get rid of a 2-day trip. Now you might wonder why they wouldn't take me up on that. I do too. It only makes sense that if I am willing to work an extra day for the company that they might try to figure out how to cover my smaller trip. Unfortunately, it is all done through the computer. Do you remember Dr. Claw from the cartoon version of Inspector Gadget? He is the main villain in the cartoon, where he sits at a computer terminal, scheming ways to ruin Inspector Gadget. He speaks in a deep ominous-sounding voice. You never see Dr. Claw's face. You only see his arms and his gloved hands.
Dr. Claw represents my scheduling people. To me they are a computerized hand scheming to make my life miserable. And so I can't even direct my anger at someone. I really want to. I really want to swear at a human being. I want to curse the human in charge of ruining August.

Come what may and love it....how?

I know that I've done worse so this should be easy.
But the only thing I can come up with is that I have a job. I'm blessed to have a job.

Any other ideas?

6 comments:

  1. Yikes! Can you come up with a terminal disease that has you bed-ridden for one month, then is miraculously cured?? What a bummer. Keep working on it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not coming to Yosemite? Nooooooo!!! At least come for a few days.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Uhhh, this is awful! I protest!

    ReplyDelete
  4. my solution is: once I get home, I will take your place as a flight attendant. We look enough like each other, nobody would notice. I will learn all I need to to sound credible, and you can do all you need to do! Problem solved!!
    I sure do love you Lucy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So until I read your last line...I was thinking...quit your job! Aren't I such a good friend?! I hate it and hate it! ("It" being your August schedule). That is no fair!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Come what may, and love just how many people love and care about you. =)

    Take care this weekend. Thinking about you!!

    ReplyDelete