I just touched the soft bristles of the sponge I used to wash him during our last hour together and my hands ached just a little bit. They still hurt.
I’ve been cleaning my room again, and I came across Clark’s box of hospital things— his “Special Delivery” hospital shirt that I have been sleeping with every night. But it stopped smelling like him, so I finally washed it, folded it, and put it away.
And then I smelled the Johnson & Johnson baby wash. I have 3 little bottles that I took from the hospital. One of them is the actual bottle I opened to bathe him with.
Bathing him, with my mom by my side, was one of the most beautiful and sacred moments we had together. I wish he could remember that moment more than any other.
lucy, i love reading about your memories with clark. thank you for sharing them with us! i love you!
ReplyDelete