Saturday, April 25, 2009

And his bananas.

On the way home from the airport this morning, I went to The WalMart on 1300 East.  I’m always slightly skittish from the moment I step out of my car at this WalMart.  It’s a scary place.  Even scarier than the West Valley one—which I frequented during a brief 4 months of my recent past—and would think would be the scariest one in Utah.  But, it’s not.  1300 East is. 

I’m in line to buy my 4 green things (celery, green onions, relish, and cilantro) when I saw Emily Madsen (from Fairfield).  The line was long, but I was happily distracted by Emily.  The man in front of me finally made it to the checkout, and the cashier rung up each of his items, plus 2 of mine, before I noticed and put a stop to it.  But, it was too late.  The cashier lady was going to make him go over to the returns line to get his money back.  He, being super nice, and probably in a hurry, said he would pay for mine (since he already had, and didn’t want to have to get in another long line just to get a few dollars back).  I tried to pay him, but he kindly refused and left.  My other 2 items were rung up, and as I was gathering my bags, I realized he had left his bananas.  I ran out to go find him, but he was nowhere.  So, in the end, the man paid for my cilantro, my celery…and I even got his bananas. 

So, this is about to be slightly cheesy…but I really thought of this, and I want you to too.  I think one day, when we meet our Savior, we’re going to see that he paid for our sins, our heart aches, our sicknesses…and still threw in some extras—things we hadn’t planned on.  Every day I am blessed to notice little things he seems to throw in—things I didn’t ask for—things I didn’t even know I needed.  But, He knew. 

bananas

2 comments:

  1. Oh I love you Lucy! What a beautiful story!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this story! I've been catching up on your blog, and read this the other day but didn't have a chance to comment (I read blogs while I nurse Henry, and I'm not a great typer while he's nursing). Anyway, I thought it was a great story, and I really liked the analogy about the Savior that you thought of. I think I'm going to start saying the phrase "and his bananas" in my mind when I'm going about my day and I notice little extras that are thrown in.

    ReplyDelete