Saturday, April 18, 2009

FSA Conference and Adoption.

Last night I spent a very long, but very productive, and very exciting evening helping plan the Birth Parent portion of the FSA (Families Supporting Adoption) Conference that will be held this year on July 31 and August 1.  I am working with some incredible birth mothers and an amazing case worker.  Everyone is so willing to help, are full of ideas, and are passionate about adoption.

If you are reading this and you  have adopted, are looking to adopt, have placed a baby, or are considering placing a baby for adoption, this conference is for you!  Come, come, come!!!  It will be amazing!  Wow, am I excited!

I am a huge advocate of adoption!  Most of you know how I feel about adoption, but if you don’t, let me tell you:

It all started when I was a 16 year old sophomore in high school.  I had to write a 14 page persuasive research paper on a topic of choice.  What did I choose?  Adoption!  Why did I choose that topic?  I have no idea-- except that the Lord must have been preparing me from a young age.  The paper was titled “Adoption—the Best Option”  (original, I know…), and focused on why unwed mothers should place their babies for adoption.  I really got excited about the research and the writing.

Who would have known that eleven years later, as a 27 year-old girl, my convictions would be challenged.  In June, after being married only 4 months, I left an abusive husband…pregnant.  As hard as it was, I knew what I needed to do.  Adoption (the best option, right?)!  Way, WAY, WAY easier said (as a 16 year-old, naive, inexperienced girl) than done (as a 27 year-old very capable adult girl)!  But, as hard as it was, and as much as I miss my little baby, I do not regret it.  I will never regret it. 

1 comment: