Wednesday, April 29, 2009

More Sisters.

Friday during Sisters, we went into D.C. again.

washmonument 

We started by going to Arlington Cemetery. 

arlington

Absolutely humbling.  Cemeteries always remind me that I have no control.  We went to the tomb of the Unknown Soldier.  How grateful I am for those who serve our country and the families who have sacrificed their sons or daughters for our country.  So grateful!  We watched the changing of the guard.  It was wonderful to see so much respect from the crowd that gathered.

guard tomb You can’t see the writing on the tomb, but it says, "Here Rests In Honored Glory An American Soldier Known But To God"….does anything else really matter?

threegirls1

We went to the Lincoln memorial.  I recently watched a TV special/series about Lincoln and Mary Todd called A House Divided—it was so informative, and increased my appreciation for him and all he did for freedom.  Seeing Lincoln larger than life, was amazing!

lincoln1 lincoln2 

We went to the Vietnam Memorial.  Humbling.  A stark reminder of lives lost.

vietnam

We went to the World War II monument quickly….we were getting tired by this point, and Annie and I were walking without shoes due to blisters.

worldwar2worldwar21

On the way home, we tried to get into Fort Belvoir—the base that my Mom was born on.  It took several entrances to finally get in, but it was well worth it to be able to see the hospital that my mom was born in.  Boy, am I glad she was born!  Unfortunately, we were unsuccessful at finding postcards.  We really, really tried!  (sorry Papa!…like he even reads this! ha!)

momhospital This hospital was built the year she was born (1954)…just in time for her!

4 comments:

  1. I felt like I was on holy ground when I was at the Vietnam Memorial. There is just something about it that has a special spirit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the pic with you, your mom, and sis by the tree--simply stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the Sisters thing. I want to do that! And also, I love magnetic things so I was very impressed by all those magnetic gifts. Where did she find the measuring spoons?

    ReplyDelete
  4. It turns out that I was born in a barracks. Not a hospital. Funny. Mom said that there were about 25 women in the room all telling their birth stories. So - good as this picture is - it is not where I was born.

    ReplyDelete